Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Crochet USA Cozy Pattern


A couple of months ago I bought some red, white, and blue yarn on sale...but I had no idea what to do with it. I was too busy in May to play with it for Memorial Day so I made sure to make time for it before the 4th of July. 

The first thing I actually made was a flag wreath.

Pattern from Petals to Picots

I had plenty of yarn left when I finished the wreath, so I decided to make a couple cozies. I looked around for a pattern and found a couple I liked...but then I just decided to play around with the yarn and see what happened. 

Well what happened was I made my own cozy!
After I was done and liked how it turned out, I thought why not write it down? I've done this before, played around with a pattern and made up my own, but I never wrote it down. And then when I want to make it again... I have no clue what I did. 

I'd really love to test the waters of writing my own patterns and I think this is a simple and easy way to start. And festive!

Ok, so here it goes....since this is my first attempt at writing a pattern, if you find a flaw PLEASE comment and tell me so I can fix it!! 
It would be much appreciated!

USA Can/Bottle Cozy

Skill Level: Easy
 
Materials:
  • Yarn: Two strands regular worsted weight yarn, acrylic or cotton (cotton is better for sweating cans) in red, white, and blue - you will use two strands of blue and one strand of red & white together
  • Hook: K (6.5mm) & B (2.25mm)
  • Yarn needle
Stitches:
  • CH - chain
  • SS - slip stitch
  • ST/S - stitch(es)
  • SC - single crochet
  • HDC - half double crochet 
Gauge:
  • 3 HDC = 1 inch
Using one strand of red and one strand of white:
 
Start with a magic circle (if this is new, here is a great tutorial)

Row 1: CH 1, 6 HDC into magic circle; join with SS to first ST and pull tight (6sts)
R2: CH 1, starting in the next ST (not the one you SS to) 2 HDC in each ST; join with SS to 1st ST (12sts) - see images below for detailed examples of my joining method
R3: CH 1, *2 HDC in next ST, 1 HDC in next ST* repeat from *; join with SS (18sts)
R4: CH 1, *2HDC in next ST, 1 HDC in next two STS* repeat from *; join with SS (24sts)
R5: CH 1, in back loop only 1 HDC in each ST; join with SS (24sts)
R6-10: CH 1, 1HDC in each ST; join with SS (24sts)
Change to TWO strands of blue:
R11-13: CH 1, 1 HDC in each ST; join with SS (24sts)

If you are making the cozy for a can then skip Row 14, finish off and weave in ends.

R14 (for a bottle): CH 1, 1SC in each ST; join with SS to 1st ST (24sts)
Finish off and weave in ends.

For the stars I did two different options:

For the bottle cozy I used the stars from the wreath, only I used a 2.25mm hook. Here is the link to that pattern: Star Pattern from Petals to Picots

For the can cozy I just stitched little stars randomly on the blue.

I think they both turned out cute!



Here are some pictures to help with my joining method:

Image 1: This is the end of row 2


Image 2: Skip the chain one and slip stitch into the 1st stitch of Row 2.


Image 3: Joined with a slip stitch into the first stitch of that row.
 

 Image 4: Starting the next row - Chain one and the first stitch of the next row goes into stitch #2 of the previous row. You slip stitched into stitch #1.


 I hope that's not too confusing. I think I came up with this as a mixture of other methods I saw in patterns. I like it because it doesn't leave a noticeable seam and it's pretty easy once you know what you are doing. 

Please comment or email me with any questions or if I missed a step or stitch and I will fix it asap.

Happy Fourth of July!






No comments:

Post a Comment