Monday, February 4, 2013

What Happened to the Waffles?


This weekend was a first for us.

Usually on Saturday's, if we don't have to run off somewhere, we have a big breakfast of eggs and waffles (the big kind) or pancakes. The kids love it and my husband really enjoys making it for the family. 

Well this weekend, in light of changing our eating habits, I cancelled the standing order for waffles and said that I was going to make breakfast. We had some veggies in the fridge left over from my detox so I decided to throw them into some scrambled eggs. 

A little back story: My mom used to put onion and green pepper in scrambled eggs when I was younger and I HATED it, so that's really why I have never done it before. Now, of course, I appreciate her efforts, but as a kid I thought it was torture...vegetables for Breakfast. Pure torture.

But this day I was on a mission: make a healthy breakfast that is still special enough to get the kids excited.

I pulled out some onion and green pepper, and as I was chopping it, my 7-year-old, Olivia, came up and said, "You should put some spinach in it. That's really good!". I'm sorry, what did she say? Did MY child just request SPINACH in her eggs?? I must have heard wrong...

"How do you know it's good?"

"Because Grandma puts it in our eggs when we go to her house."

Huh...well thank you Grandma!


Ultimately, I put in green pepper, onion, spinach and some skim milk. The milk makes the eggs a bit fluffier (another tip I learned from Mom). 


Throw it in the skillet....



And Voila! I added some freshly grated Asiago Cheese.



I admit that even while I was making this, I was not excited about eating it. I still had those memories of hating vegetable in my eggs...but I told myself to get over it and eat it...and turns out...it was delicious! I was really surprised at how much I liked it! And the best part is, the kiddos liked it, too!




We ate it with fresh pineapple and whole wheat toast with almond butter. The almond butter was new to all of us, 3 out of 4 liked it. 

To most culinary artists or health experts, this breakfast may be laughable. But for us, while easy to make, it was another step forward. And a delicious one, too! 

I realize you don't really need a recipe for scrambled eggs, but the point of this blog is learn. So I am writing this for the person out there that has never made scrambled eggs or even thought of putting vegetables in them. You can really throw any vegetable that you like into it and if you want it to be a truly CLEAN meal, you would use everything organic. We choose to eat cheese, but have switched to fresh deli cheese instead of prepackaged.


 Scrambled Eggs with Veggies

  • 2 eggs per person (we used 8 eggs)
  • 1/2 cup skim milk
  • 1 cup green pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 cup spinach (with or without stems)
  • 1/2 cup fresh grated cheese (optional)
Whisk the eggs and milk together first, then add in the green pepper, onion, and spinach. 

Heat greased skillet on stove at medium heat, then pour in egg mixture. Cook on medium and using a spatula, continuously scrape the eggs off of the bottom of the pan until fully cooked. 

Top with grated cheese.


Post a comment if you have any other great egg combinations to share!







No comments:

Post a Comment