Thursday, April 18, 2013

PB&J Smoothie


I've heard of snow days...maybe even in some parts of the world there are heat days...but a RAIN day? That's a new one. But for those of us lucky enough to live in the Midwest, the land of a hormonal Mother Nature, we now know what a Rain Day is. 

The kids are home, plans have to be cancelled, maybe there are calls in to work, and in between pumping water out of your basement and keeping the kids entertained...you still have to feed the family. 

Never fear! I have found a lunch smoothie to come to the rescue! I found this on a website called 100 Days of Real Food. Lisa has TONS of great recipes for people looking to avoid processed foods and she has been on the Dr. Oz show. I found this smoothie recipe one day and I thought there is no way it really tastes like PB&J. She claims that your kids will slurp it until the last drop. So I decided to give it a try. 

She was right. My kids slurped this down so fast, I barely had the blender rinsed out. Then for 5 minutes Olivia went on and on about how good it was and she could eat it all day everyday and it's the best smoothie she's ever had and can I make it tomorrow, too and....you get the picture. 

So, on this rainy day, I thought that this yummy smoothie would be the perfect lunch. Easy and quick to make, easy clean up, and satisfied youngsters. Win!


5 ingredients is all you need! Milk, Apple Juice, Peanut Butter, Bananas, and frozen berries (we like using blueberries).



 Throw it all in the blender and blend until smooth.



Mmmmmmmm, looks yummy. I add some ice to make it colder and more smoothie-ish. 



Do you hear that? It's silence.....ahhhhh....Careful, though...it won't last long. Before you know it, you'll hear SLLLUUUUURRRRRP SLLLLUUUUUURRRRRRP.

Ok, here's what you're looking for, the recipe:

PB&J Smoothie

  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup apple juice
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter
  • 2 bananas (or you can use one, but it IS better with two)
  • 1 cup frozen or fresh berries
  • Ice if you want
Blend all ingredients together until smooth. Pour in cup, add straw, and prepare for slurping.

One time I made this, but I didn't have apple juice. So here is an alternate recipe if you don't have the juice. It tasted pretty much the same.

  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1/3 peanut butter
  • 1-2 bananas
  • 1 cup frozen berries
  • ice
I hope your kids like this as much as mine do! The next time you have an unexpected "Rain Day" you can whip this up and the kiddos will love you even more (as if that's possible). Happy Rain Day everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment