Monday, September 30, 2013

Chalkboard Picture Project

So now that I've revamped my page and added some new aspects to the blog, I decided to feature a quick re-do project that I did a few weeks ago. This probably isn't really even blog-worthy...but I don't really care. I took pictures for myself and didn't think I'd ever put it on my blog, but I figured why not?

This is extremely simple and really isn't a tutorial, it's just an example of how even as your tastes change throughout the years, you can save some money by re-finishing the things you have. It's also verification that yes, you can paint anything with chalkboard paint.

I was married over five years ago, and boy have my decorating preferences changed! We bought this after we got married from our registry list at Linen's-N-Things...remember that store? 
It was perfect for us and our bedroom decorations at that time.


Now, there are two things wrong with this. One, it's totally cliche. Everyone has "Always Kiss Me Goodnight" in their bedroom. Two, it's not completely accurate....we don't usually go to bed at the same time these days so sometimes the goodnight kiss gets forgotten. 

What to do, what to do....

Chalkboard Paint! 
I had some chalkboard paint left over from painting my pantry door and it was just begging to be used.

I had no clue what I wanted to write yet, but I knew I wanted to paint over it with chalkboard paint. So paint I did.


First I taped the frame with painters tape.

Then I sanded down the picture. It had a bit of texture to it, so I wanted to lessen that. Word to the wise, read the directions before using chalkboard paint. It IS different than regular paint.

Time to paint! I put on a total of three coats of paint and let it dry. 


The directions say you should let it sit for 2-3 days before writing on it. Which was fine with me because I still had no clue what I wanted it to say. I wanted something that had meaning, but was unique, and I couldn't make up my mind, so I hung it on the wall blank.....for four weeks.

It happens.

Finally I came across a Bible verse that I knew would be perfect.

Ta-Da!!
 This verse fits perfect because it's a reminder that God's love will never fail us, and these days we need that reminder. It's also is a good reminder for my husband and I that no matter if we forget to give each other goodnight kisses, our love for each other will also never fail. (I know, I know, too mushy.)

Okay. Honesty time. I cannot tell a lie.

I did not write the arsty lettering. Everyone teases me about there being nothing I can't do. Well here ya go people! I have no confidence what-so-ever in freely handwriting something and it actually looking nice. None. Can't do it. 

Soooooo I recruited my dear mother to do it for me. She's fantastic at all that artsy stuff. I gave her some guidelines for what I wanted it to look like and she put it on the chalkboard. Love you Mom!

I think it looks much better than before, and it didn't cost me a penny.

A little paint can go a long way!

I have more pictures of how paint can change a whole room, but unfortunately they are stuck on the hard drive from our old computer. So I will have to post those at a later date.

Until then, go buy some chalkboard paint and start painting!

1 comment: