Thursday, September 12, 2013

Clean Breakfast Pizza


Who doesn't love breakfast pizza? And if you are from the Midwest, then you probably love Casey's breakfast pizza. It really is the best. If only it wasn't 100,000 calories and a heart attack waiting to happen. Am I right?

Never fear! I have come to solve your breakfast pizza woes. The other weekend I woke up Saturday morning and thought "I want breakfast pizza." I had pinned a picture of one a few days before and it had me craving it. But in trying to get back into the swing of clean eating I wanted to come up with a clean version. A non-guilty version. 

Well, my bright idea for breakfast pizza turned into brunch pizza. Luckily, we all had chores to do that day and nowhere to go, so my family indulged me. 

I really wanted it to be "clean" so I made the pizza crust from scratch using the recipe I got from The Gracious Pantry. I never posted the actual recipe on here, but I shared my opinion here.

Ok. I know. As a blog reader, in most blogs when I get to the part where they say "I made it from scratch" I laugh and promptly close the window. But hang with me here. You don't have to make it from scratch. I just wanted to this time. You can buy pre-made crusts and it will be easy and ready to go or you could make the clean pizza crust and freeze it for another time. There are options, I promise! 

I meant for the pizza to be for breakfast, but as usual I read the directions on the pizza dough too fast and skipped some important parts about letting the dough rise.....whoops. Hence, brunch pizza.

Moving on.


After getting the dough rolled out and letting it rise for the eightieth time, I spread some cream cheese on the crust. It adds some flavor and creaminess.

Next, cook up your eggs in a skillet. Since this was a last minute recipe, all I had on hand was veggies. So I made Scrambled Eggs with Veggies. Next time, I want to try adding some turkey bacon or turkey sausage. 


Pour the eggs on top of the cream cheese and crust and then top with freshly grated cheese.

Here's where it gets tricky. I preheated the oven to 400 degrees. Now, the crust recipe calls for it to be cooked 20-30 minutes, but for the pizza you only want to cook it through to heat it and melt the cheese. I cooked the pizza for 25 minutes and the crust was done but the eggs and cheese were slightly overdone. So my recommendation is that if you make the clean dough recipe, cook it in the oven for about 10 minutes before adding the toppings. Then another 10-15 after adding toppings. That way your crust will be done and your eggs will be warm and cheesy.


Even though we had to wait until 10:30....ok, 11:00am to eat it....it was so very worth it! No, it wasn't the same as Casey's pizza...BUT it didn't come with the bloated stomach, gut ache, and clogged arteries. 

How did the family like it?


Does that answer your question?

Clean Breakfast Pizza
  • Pizza Dough (premade or homemade)
  • Scrambled eggs (6-8 eggs)
  • Any other toppings you would like: onion, green pepper, mushrooms, sausage, bacon, etc.
  • Cream Cheese
  • Shredded Cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

First take care of your crust. If you are making it from scratch then follow those directions. If the cook time for your dough/crust is more than 15 minutes then bake the crust for the extra minutes BEFORE putting your toppings on.

While crust is baking, cook eggs. If you have meat toppings, you want to cook those separately as well. If you have veggies, cook them in some olive oil first and then add your eggs. 

Once crust is ready, spread cream cheese on as the first layer. Then spread eggs and other toppings on top of the cream cheese. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the eggs.

Bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is brown on the edges. 

No comments:

Post a Comment