Thursday, January 31, 2013

Fabric Covered Bulletin Board

Time for some Home Cleaning.

Let's get organized, shall we?

I finally got to this project yesterday, it's been on my to-do list for about a month. That's how my projects usually happen. I get very excited and buy all my supplies and then I can't find the time to do it. Plus I was on Day 2 of my detox and I needed to stay busy in order to ignore the hunger... 
I was also relying on my hubby to cut some wood...I really should learn how to use a saw.

When I was re-decorating my daughter's room, I found an old bulletin board that was mine from college. We didn't have a use for it in her room anymore so my instinct was to pitch it or throw it in the garage sale pile. But thanks to my friend, Michelle, I've been learning how to re-purpose things that I have but am not using. SO the new, crafty me remembered a blog that I saw a while back on She did hers on a much bigger scale. If you want to check out how she did her board, you can go HERE

This is how I did it:

I used:
  • cork board
  • plywood
  • roofing nails
  • fabric
  • staple gun 
First I broke the old frame off of the cork board. Then I had my husband cut a piece of plywood to match the cork. He attached them by using roofing nails on the four corners, cutting off any excess nail. You could also use wood glue, it will just take a little longer to let it dry and set. 

I had him drill two holes in the plywood for hanging. Since this is a small piece to hang, the holes suited it just fine. If you have a bigger board then you could try other options for hanging.

Next I cut my fabric to cover the board and plywood. I had to make sure the fabric would fully cover the sides but that the top wouldn't cover up the holes.

Laying the cork side down, I folded the top fabric over the wood, pulling it tight. Now comes the fun part....

Staple down the fabric. I staggered the staples just so the fabric wouldn't pull at all the same areas. Staple the top and the bottom of the board, but not the sides yet. 

Once I had the top and bottom stapled, I flipped it over to make sure my pattern was straight. No one wants to look at crooked zig-zags! I'd probably get dizzy and fall over. (I have a slight vertigo issue...)

The nice thing about staples is that they are easily removed if you need to start over.

Next I stapled the sides. The best way that I could figure out to fold the sides over, was to fold them like you wrap a present. 

Once I folded them over, I stuck a staple right on the fold to make sure it would stay. Then I staggered the rest of the staples like I did on the top and bottom. 

Now we are all stapled and ready to hang!

Before:                                                                                After:


I'm really good and having lots of random papers and no where to put they get shoved into corners. And then it looks like the first picture.

Now at least my mess looks cute and somewhat organized!

This is my first tutorial, so go ahead and leave a comment if I missed anything or you have any questions.

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment