Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Eggs a Go-Go

Here is another fabulous recipe out of the Mayo Clinic Kids' Cookbook.
Easy and delicious - the best kind of recipe.
 I don't really like the name of it, because I don't get it...but that's the title in the book and the kids think it's cool...which I suppose is the point seeing as how it is a cookbook for kids. Ok, so I guess now I get it.

Because it has lots of eggs and green veggies in it, I feel like this can be served as breakfast or a breakfast-for-dinner meal...which is what I did. I figure it's still fun for the kids to eat breakfast food for dinner and I don't feel guilty feeding them sugary syrup before bed. I don't know about your kids, but mine do not need the extra energy at the end of the day....they have plenty of their own. 

This recipe is also a great way to sneak some veggies in their diet. It has spinach (which is almost tasteless in this), green peppers, and onion. I couldn't believe it when my 3-year-old stabbed a piece of onion with her fork and asked "what's this?". I told her it was onion, she ate it and said "I like onion!". I almost fell off my chair. Even I don't like plain onions. 

The point being, even if they say they don't like something, if you can sneak it in and get them to try it again and again, they may find one day that they do like it. Hey, I figure it's worth a try!

It's ridiculous how easy this is.
All you need is 6 ingredients - eggs, spinach, green pepper, onion, milk, mozzarella.


Throw defrosted and drained spinach in a bowl with chopped green pepper and onion.


Add your eggs, milk, and shredded mozzarella to the bowl and whisk all ingredients together.


Line a muffin pan with foil muffin cups and coat with cooking spray. 
Pour 1/4 cup egg mixture into each cup.


Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. 
Insert a knife in the middle of several cups - if it comes out clean then they are done. If not, cook for another 3 minutes and check again.


Oh yeah...that looks GOOD.

Serve with some fruit, toast, juice...whatever breakfast-y foods your family likes! 

I did make a couple changes to the original recipe. The original called for egg substitute....I'm sorry, but yuck. I like real eggs. 
It also called for 16 oz of frozen spinach. I don't know about you, but getting my kids to each veggies is not always the easiest thing. I felt like 16 oz was A LOT of spinach, so I just used one box of Green Giant frozen spinach, which was 9 oz, and that was plenty. 
Lastly, I added milk. I grew up with my mom putting milk in our eggs which makes them fluffier. So I decided to throw some milk in there.

This went over so well with my girls, they both had the leftovers for breakfast the next morning.
Cooking Win!

Eggs a Go-Go
  • 9 oz package of frozen chopped spinach
  • 1/4 cup diced green bell sweet peppers or finely chopped broccoli florets
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 2 cups eggs - I used 9 eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 3/4 shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tin with foil muffin cups and coat each cup with cooking spray.

Microwave spinach on high for about 2 minutes. Squeeze out excess water.

Put spinach, green pepper, and onion in a large bowl.

Add eggs, milk, and shredded cheese. Whisk ingredients until combined.

Pour 1/4 cup of egg mixture into each muffin cup. If there is leftover mixture, pour it evenly into each cup so they all have the same amount.

Bake for 20 minutes. Insert knife into the middle of several muffins - if nothing sticks and it comes out clean, they are done. If not, bake for another 3 minutes and try again.

Serve when fully cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment