Thursday, October 10, 2013

Clean Chicken Nuggets


When I first started researching eating clean, I kept reading about people packing coolers when they would go into town. I realized that they meant they would pre-pack meals so they wouldn't have to stop at fast food restaurants for food. I'm assuming that most of these people were talking about taking lunches to work, but some moms said that they did pack food in coolers for themselves and their kiddos to take on shopping trips. 

Wow. Now, that's commitment.

In the spirit of being real, I have yet to do this. Seriously, that's a lot of work and planning. I do try to plan trips around meal time so that we can just eat at home. But occasionally plans get changed or things happen and we end up in the drive-thru. Oh well, life happens. 

So how do you replace the ever-so-loved Chicken McNugget? In the mind of a child, you can't. Nothing can come close to whatever is deed fried under those golden arches.

But you can sure try!

I found this recipe at The Gracious Pantry. It was one of the first few recipes I looked up because it was something that I always had a frozen bag of in the freezer. I couldn't quite comprehend how we were going to survive without it...

Luckily that's where learning about different types of clean lunch options came in handy. 
And this recipe. 


First you need bread crumbs. If you want this to be a truly clean recipe then you want to use clean bread crumbs made with clean, whole grain bread. I make mine with the clean sandwich bread
that I also got from The Gracious Pantry.

Making the bread crumbs is pretty simple.

Toast your bread until it's practically burnt and let it dry out really good. Then blend it in a processor with some spices and Parmesan cheese and voila!

After that it works a lot like Shake-N-Bake...well, without the shake...and the help.


Cut up the chicken into bite size chunks (I usually use kitchen shears for this because it is much easier), beat an egg in a bowl, and pour some crumbs onto a plate.

You now have your chicken nugget production line.

Dip the chicken in the egg and cover it in crumbs.


Place the nuggets on a greased cookie sheet and cook for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.


Golden, crunchy and delicious.

Yum!


My husband recently took a new job and due to that, he isn't home for dinner very often. It's meals like this that have become my best friend. It's still healthy, and I can make it a nice cooked meal with some brown rice and veggies or I can just get out the applesauce and carrot sticks to make it a quick meal. Believe me, I've done both.

One thing I like to do is make extra bread crumbs and then keep them in the freezer. That way they are ready to go when I need them. I also make extra nuggets and then pack them in Olivia's lunch the next day.

And you want know the real reason why this recipe is a keeper?

These faces. 


Take that McDonald's.

Now if only I could figure out how to cook them in under five minutes....

Clean Chicken Nuggets
  • 2 large chicken breasts
  • 1 batch bread crumbs
  • 1 egg (I only use one, original recipe calls for 2)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 
Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray (or olive oil).
 
Cut chicken into bite size pieces.

Beat egg in a bowl.

Pour bread crumbs onto a plate or in a bowl.

Roll the chicken in the egg and then roll in bread crumbs until fully covered. Place on cookie sheet.

Bake for 30 minutes.

Remove and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment