Monday, November 11, 2013

DIY Laundry Stain Remover


I've been waiting a while to make this stain remover. I still had some of my store bought stuff left so I had to wait until it was all gone and then I obviously wanted to use it and make sure it worked before blogging about it. 

I didn't even mean to post it now. I thought I still had some store stuff left and when I went to do laundry this afternoon, I found out that my dear husband (whom I love so much) had used the last of it and never told me. He also didn't know that I wanted to keep the bottle to re-use, so I had to go digging through the laundry room trash can....have you ever done that before? The laundry room trash? *shudder* Nasty.

BUT I found it, washed it off, and put it to use. All is well with the world and my husband is saved from the dog house. 

Luckily, this recipe is extremely easy to make, so it wasn't a huge inconvenience to have to throw it together in the last minute. I was able to whip it up, spray it on, throw the laundry in and get back to racing my 3-year-old with laundry baskets. 

I found this recipe on My Kitchen Escapades - she mostly has food recipes but she also has some pretty good cleaner recipes.

Here is the link to the original recipe: Homemade Shout.

All you need is ammonia, dish soap, baking soda, and warm water.


This is another great recipe that is easy on your wallet, too. The dish soap was less than a dollar and you use about 2/3 of it. The ammonia is a few bucks, but you barely use any. And baking soda is pretty cheap, too. I've learned to just stay stocked on baking soda, ammonia, and vinegar because I almost always need them for any of my cleaning recipes. 

Mix these three with warm water and pour in your spray bottle.


DIY Laundry Stain Remover
  • 2/3 cup dish soap
  • 2/3 cup ammonia
  • 6 Tbsp baking soda
  • 2 cups warm water
Mix together in medium bowl. Pour into spray bottle. Spray on stain and wash as usual.

Shake up the bottle before spraying on stain due to baking soda settling on the bottom.

DO NOT use on anything washed with chlorine bleach due to the ammonia.



I'm very happy with this recipe!
 It was easy and cheap to make and it got the stain out. Plus, it's one more thing to cross off the list of crap I spend too much money on. 

Next up....internet service....who has a recipe for that???

No comments:

Post a Comment