Monday, May 16, 2016

Wacky Chocolate Cake

Last week we had a dinner to go to and I was asked to bring dessert. I usually have a box mix in the pantry for such occasions, but since we are slowly working towards 100% clean eating again, I didn't have one this time. 
This chocolate cake recipe quickly came to mind.
It's another great recipe out of the Mayo Clinic Kids' Cookbook.

I will state right away that this recipe isn't clean. It uses white sugar. However, the rest of the ingredients are pretty good, and it's egg free if that's an issue for your household. My plan is to play with the recipe and figure out how to get it completely clean. Once I do, I'll make sure to post it!

It's called "Wacky" because of how you make it. But maybe it's called wacky because that's how you feel after baking with your kids...
Well, lets find out!

Here's all the ingredients you need:

 Most of these are things you already have in your pantry. The only change I made so far is using olive oil instead of canola oil. I use just a little bit less than the recipe calls for. It makes for a very moist cake! For anyone not used to buy whole wheat pastry flour, you will most likely find it in a health food section of your regular grocery store.

The absolute best thing about this recipe is the clean up.
No. Bowls.
Or mixers.
I know, right?!

You just dump all your dry ingredients right in an ungreased baking dish.
Yes, you read that right.

Boom.

Whisk the dry ingredients together. Yes. Right there in the pan.


*Notice my amazing baking helpers*
I mean, how do you make wacky cake without some wacky helpers?

Once it's all whisked up, take a wooden spoon and make three holes in the mixture.


This is where the kids have fun. 

In each hole you pour a different wet ingredient: vinegar, vanilla, and oil.


Now pour in the water and whisk everything together until the dry ingredients are completely mixed in.


*Again, notice the whisking by my fabulous helper*

Make sure to get in all the corners, and I even take a spatula to wipe around the edges.

This is what your batter should look like:

This batter is different than regular cake batter. Because of the pastry flour, it's more of a spongy consistency, so don't let that worry you. 

The downside to not using bowls is the edges of your pan get a bit dirty...but I know some of you obsessive cleaners will wipe all of that up. I'm not that ambitious.

Pop 'er in the oven at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.

Ok, so I may have forgotten to take a picture before we started "taste testing" it...

This cake is rich enough that you don't need frosting, another plus for watching your calorie
intake. 
Just sprinkle some powdered sugar on top and dig in! 


That's Oliver. He's a fun guy. You should check him out.

Wacky Chocolate Cake
  • 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla
  • 2 Tbsp vinegar 
  • 1/2 cup canola oil (I use baking olive oil)
  • 2 cups water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Pour all dry ingredients into ungreased 9x13 in baking pan. Whisk together.
Make 3 holes with a wooden spoon. 
Pour vanilla in one hole, vinegar in another hole, and oil in the last hole.
Heat water in the microwave for 3 minutes (or until it's boiling) and then pour over the ingredients. Whisk them all together for 2 minutes or until thoroughly mixed. 
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Cool cake on cooling rack. 
Sprinkle powdered sugar, cut, and serve. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment